Thursday, May 3, 2007

David Halberstam & Kermit Washington

While I will admit that, I was unaware of Halberstam’s sports writing until his premature death, I did manage to check out his “masterpiece” Breaks of The Game before the library could set up its display about him. I have now read page 217. It starts slowly, but I read over 100 pages today, so it has certainly gotten very good.

In honor of Kareem’s 60th birthday, I decided to read his autobiography Kareem it was from this book I started to have a real respect for Kermit Washington, his work ethic and the way he was vilified by “the Punch.” From pages 200 to 216 in the first edition of The Breaks of the Game Halberstam talks about Kermit Washington’s upbringing and how he became the all-star caliber player. It was very moving for me and I am now looking for a Kermit Washington Lakers Jersey so if you see one let me know.

A review of Bright Eyes’ latest album is coming soon as well.

No comments: